Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Casey Anthony Gets Away With Murder

Casey Marie Anthony just got away with murder.

In less than two working days, a panel of jurors who didn't even know each other two months ago acquitted Casey of all charges except for four counts of lying to law enforcement.

She could be released Thursday during sentencing, as she has already sat in jail for two years awaiting trial.

It took 10 hours, 40 minutes and 33 seconds to reach the verdict after six weeks of heart-wrenching testimony and much acrimony between attorneys.

The visibly nervous defendant entered the courtroom about 25 minutes before the verdict was read. Then, as the court clerk read the jury's unanimous decision, the world learned Casey Marie Anthony got away with murder. Prosecutors sat stunned as the words "Not guilty" were repeatedly uttered by the court clerk. Video quickly spread of the crowd wandering around outside the Orange County Courthouse as if an earthquake had just hit downtown Orlando. This spoke volumes for the collective letdown of those expecting a murder conviction.

Count me among those whom defense attorney Cheney Mason, during a press conference, accused of bias and character assassination. Simply because I was convinced she did it. I still believe it. I already had this blog written as if she was going to be convicted of the most heinous crime a mother can inflict on her child. I don't like to go along with the majority. I'm not one to agree simply because it is easier to go with the flow rather than buck the system. But I stated earlier the justice system was flawed. This trial just proved it.

Growing up in a military family, I was used to picking up and moving every three years. I grew accustomed to making new friends and losing others. I knew what it was like to try and get to know a new set of classmates and somehow fit in. I would be stretching it to say I had 12 friends throughout my school years.

The State of Florida required that a group of 12 total strangers decide whether a defendant, in this case Casey Anthony, lived or died. This ain't right. Judge Belvin Perry, who did his level best to ensure this trial stayed constitutionally grounded, must surely be scratching his head.

I think our judges should be the ones who decide guilt or innocence when it involves serious charges such as premeditated murder. There's no way this panel of jurors, who had nothing in common but to reside in Piniellas County, Fla., decide Casey's fate with no knowledge of the law. Why do you think lawyers must undergo four years of arduous case law, moot court and  then pass a bar exam before they can even set foot in the hallowed chambers as an officer of the court.

Perhaps it was a looming cruise vacation for one juror. Maybe the smokers in the jury panel were antsy to finish this trial to get some 'fresh air.' I just find it hard to believe in that short time this jury decided the State didn't prove its case. I could go on forever on why justice wasn't served, but I'll let the talking heads do that. I just think our judicial system needs some major over-hauling.

There were no winners, only losers. Caylee Anthony left us far too soon. A jury spent far too little time deliberating this case. Because of this, Casey Marie Anthony will be a free woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment